Monday, April 1, 2013

An Afro Puff






We started out with different intentions for Hope's hairstyle for Easter, but life presented us with a different idea today.  Earlier in the week, the hair care routine started in the bath with washing, conditioning, and coconut oil application.  I worked with Hope's hair in the sections that were from her last style, did a little finger detangling in each section, and then twisted each section when complete.

After her bath, I used my detangling comb to detangle Hope's hair, again, one section at a time.  (I did further divide Hope's hair, making her one large puff into two sections, so that her hair was parted down the middle, with three sections of hair on each side of the part.)  I started in the front, and made a rope twist in each section as I finished it.  What I ended up with was essentially piggyback twists with each twist connecting into the section of hair below and forming the next twist.  I did not band the base of each twist, but I did add 5 bands at the ends of the two piggyback twists.

You can see the twists in this oh-so-cute picture
of Hope with her big brother...
It was his 12th birthday that day!

Normally I band Hope's hair for stretching, but I was so pressed for time that day that I really did not have time to put in all the pony-o's it requires to properly band her very long hair.  So, I was thinking I could stretch with twists instead and it would be faster.  Well, it was faster, but it did not turn out to be the right method for us.  I will definitely return to banding the next time.  Hope has a lot of new hair growth around her hairline (in the front and the back) and these shorter hairs just did not get pulled into her twists neatly enough, so that by the end of the next day, she was looking pretty (shall we say) fuzzy.  More importantly, as I removed each twist today, I saw that the sections had not stayed as well detangled as they do when banded.    We had originally planned to put in regular two stranded box twists, but I did not wish to have a fight on our hands, nor did I want Hope to be uncomfortable, so it was a good time to change our plans.

What I settled on, which made Hope very happy, was a simple (well, simple is a relative term here) high pony, or more accurately in our case an Afro Puff.  With all of the length and thickness of Hope's curly hair, this really is not as simple as the word 'simple' implies.  I began by spraying each section with Oyin Handmade's Juices and Berries and applying coconut oil.  I only (lightly) finger detangled.  I followed the same steps in each section, and then began the process of gathering all that hair into the puff.  I started in the front by applying Oyin Handmade Sugar Berries Pomade (quite generously) to the hairline.  I smoothed it in with the palms of my hands and then very gently brushed Hope's hair back from her face.  I did the same thing in the back, underneath Hope's hair, this time smoothing upward.  Then I just formed the puff, trying to make it as high as I could.  I secured it with a cloth pony-o (no metal), which I managed to get around twice...with patience for sure!




After putting in the puff, I put on a satin sleep scarf to smooth down the edges, and set to work adding curl defining products.  I used Shea Moisture Organic Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie and Curling Souffle.  I raked each product through her curls in small sections to be sure it was evenly distributed.




After removing the sleep scarf


To maintain Hope's style, I will put in a few loose braids or twists at night.  I will reapply one of the curl defining products in the mornings as needed.

I think it is a very cute style for Hope.  It was quick for me to put in (which was a plus today) and she loved it, which is most important in my book.  Best part of style time for me today was when Hope said, "This is good hair!"

Blessings,
Nikki

No comments:

Post a Comment