Friday, April 5, 2013

Faux Hawk

I love reading natural hair care blogs, and I'm also always on the lookout for something cool or helpful over on Pinterest.  I collect the resources and photos that interest me on my "Natural Hair Care" board.  Stop over!

Recently, I was inspired by a post I found at Beads, Braids and Beyond to try a really cool, and I do mean cool, hairstyle with Hope... the faux hawk.  When I showed the photo to Hope of this style, her response was, "WOW!"  She was in!  The only condition I had, as mom, was that this style would go in after Easter.

So, sure enough, Monday morning we put in the faux hawk, and Hope has been happily wearing it all week.  The faux hawk was a very easy style for us to accomplish, especially since Hope was already wearing her Afro puff.  I followed the instructions at the BBB post, which were seriously simple!  I did not put in exact parts, just gathered Hope's hair into three sections and banded them at the base with a cotton pony O.  The ponytails went right down the middle of Hope's hair.  Because she has very long hair, I folded her hair over to the side and used bobby pins to secure her hair.  That's it.  Really.

Easy enough maintenance, too!  Each night I have put in 4-5 two stranded rope twists (keeping in the original 3 ponytails), and then in the morning I removed those and repinned the faux hawk.  (Each morning I did ask Hope, "Do you want to wear the twists today, or do you want me to put in your faux hawk again?" to which she would emphatically answer, "My faux hawk!")


Here's Day One:


She said this was her 'cool' face


 And morning maintenance:
Twisted from overnight

Letting down the twists shows just how
seriously long Hope's hair is.

Half pinned

Finished in about five minutes!

 I really didn't use much product in maintaining this style.  A little spray of Oyin Handmade's Juices and Berries was just about all we needed.  This is definitely a style we will come back to, and the best part was just how much Hope loved it!

Blessings,
Nikki


No comments:

Post a Comment